Pages

Wednesday, July 29, 2009

SEW SILLY!



This is absolutely one of my favorite machines!
I have always found sitting in front of this tool to be relaxing, enjoyable and a sense of satisfaction as I watched the needle go into the fabric and know that when all is finished I will have produced something only I could do.
As a Family and Consumer Science teacher, I have the opportunity to share my favorite leisure time activity with my students.
Included in the curriculum is a safety quiz. I stress the importance of keeping your eyes and thoughts on what you are doing, while this looks like a toy, it can in fact, hurt you. It is important to keep your fingers away from the needle. I've had two students to actually sew on their finger. One was over 24 years ago and the other a couple of years ago. Both were obviously painful, one required a trip to the emergency room and the other we were able to apply first aid in the classroom. I've always wondered how they managed to stick their finger in between the needle and throat plate?
I WONDER no more!
:o(

Is this not the saddest thing?
Honestly, I still can't believe it! There I am, sewing right along, thinking of how cute this project will be once I've finished, when all of a sudden, I stuck my finger under the needle, as it was going up and down! I did SCREAM, I couldn't help it!
Thank goodness my dear daughter was home, she came running to see if she could help.
The needle went straight down into the very center of my finger nail, and cracked it from that point upward.
The blood gushed and was very difficult to control.
She ran and got the first aid box, neosporin and two pain(over the counter types) pills.
I am so glad she was here to offer assistance. While the bandage looks a little funny, the pain throbbing from inside is a reminder how I should "practice what I teach"!
Hugs and Kisses,
Theresa

3 comments:

  1. OUCH!!!!!!!!!!! Whew- I hope I never do that. Invariably everytime I try to clean house or a closet I get injured- today I was sweatting like a hog!!! (Do hogs really sweat?)Trying to vacume out the window seals. With the hose attachment on it blows out really hot air-- I decided who cares if we have bugs in the window? Certainly not me. Especially if cleaning them is making me so hot.

    I do hope your finger is better. Nick, MiKensey's guy friend (and she says that's all it is) sliced his finger open today and is also in a lot of pain tonight. I think it has even made him sick at his stomach. (ewwwwww)

    Hang in there and maybe try some less intense hobby--- watching tv, or just sitting on the couch.

    Hope to talk with you again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sorry about your finger. Kay Brown

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, honey :) I can literally feel your pain!! Been there, done that! Oh, my! I do hope that your finger heals quickly and that you won't be in too much pain! We know now to be extra EXTRA careful and mindful with that needle, now don't we ;)! Hopefully your family will be extra helpful with things around the house until you heal up.
    Many blessings,
    Stacey

    ReplyDelete