Pages

Monday, January 21, 2008

Time Flies

January is over 1/2 gone! Can you believe it? I can remember when I was a little girl I would think I would never grow up. Now, I'm praying, I never grow up. LOL
I have had a couple of creative moments since my last blog.
These small bags went together fairly quickly once I had all the correct supplies. I can't tell you the last time I needed a zipper. I have helped students put them into projects, but I personally haven't used a zipper in a project in forever. I found this fabric in my "stash" and thought it would make cute bags. Everyone can use a small bag. This is the inside of the bags. I love the red, black and white. The dressed up dolls on the fabric remind me of playing "Barbie" when I was a little girl with my sister. That's another story.
I admit, I'm having feelings of nostalgia this week. My grandmother was a "crafty" lady. She had the patience to work with me and encouraged me to learn what I considered at the time, really cool things! As I became a young wife and then mother, I didn't have the time to continue the crafts she had taught me. This brings me to the above flowers. I have several beautiful pieces of crochet work that my grandmother did for me. I decided that I needed to "relearn" those skills. This is easier said than done. I remember grandma showing me step by step how to make each of those stitches. What I don't remember is learning how to read the instructions. It has taken me a few hours, but I was determined to make a crochet flower. The above flowers are the product of my labor. I think grandma would be proud. I'm not sure yet what I will do with those flowers, they are larger than I thought they would be. I'm not sure you can tell what this is, but it is going to be a valentine quilt. Last Thursday when we were out for snow, I began this little project. I thought I would have it finished, but as you can tell, it's still a work in progress. My mother was the queen of 9 patch quilts. She painstakingly cut each square, with scissors, mind you, and then would sew those squares into perfect blocks. Her seams matched, or out the seam ripper would come. I have a few pieces of her work still. I used a rotary cutter and sewed into strips, re-cut then made them into blocks. Pretty easy. I wish it were done, but I got tired of sitting at the sewing machine.
A stomach virus has hit our house. I'm hoping it stays with the person that has it and the rest of us NEVER get it! My washing machine has gone non-stop today, trying to wash those germs down the drain. I hope they stay there!
I haven't checked the forecast to see if there is a possibility of snow. We had one snow day last week. With today being a holiday this should be a quick week. I hope you are having a wonderful week. xoxo Theresa

3 comments:

  1. What a beautiful bag!!! Looks like one from New York or LA --- YOu do such a fabulous job!! And, a valentine quilt--- who would have thought? Now, the flowers, they certainly had their day. Looks like you worked very hard on getting them just right. Good job!! You are always such an inspiration to me. Please don't ever stop doing what you do best. Enjoy your week!! D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I'm so glad you left me a comment. The small bags are waiting for their label and a ribbon bow and then they will be finished. I'm still not sure what I will do with the flowers, but I really have enjoyed making them. Love, Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your new title for your blog. how did you do the pictures that way? It looks really good. You are doing a wonderful job with the computer and your writing skills. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete