Pages

Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Spring Tablesetting

I found Between Naps on the Porch several months ago and it quickly became one of my favorites. As many of you know, I love dishes!
When I visit her site and visit all the blogs that share their creative tables I am inspired!
I incorporate formal dinner events in all of my classes at school.
I do this for several reasons: I love it!; the students love it; it is an awesome activity for students to learn the art of hospitality, organization, creativity, planning and presentation; and there is something to be said about sitting down to a beautiful table and knowing that someone has gone to the trouble of preparing it just for you!:o)
OK, enough about why I teach how to set a table, now let me share with you my dining room table.




Mom B. and I went into the storage bin last Saturday to find these treasures. She has collected some beautiful things over the years and is sharing these beauties with me. While it isn't obvious from the photo, the cream plates are Pfaltzgraff, Tea Rose. I'm not sure of the name of the pink glass plates and bowls, but they really pop on the Tea Rose.


The stemmed glassware was my mothers. I was surprised when I discovered it matched the pink glassware of Mom B. I found the placemats and napkins at TJ MAXX last weekend. If you are familiar with the Tea Rose pattern, there is a small blue flower with a white center that matches those placemats. The napkin rings came from WM years ago! I mean years ago, so many that I can't remember. :0)


What is so cool about this tablesetting is not only the pretty dishes, but the memories Mom B. and I had once it was set.

Do you see the small pink glass tumbler? That was her moms!

Her mother was born in 1900 and died when Mom B. was only 10 years old. Mom B. is the youngest of 8 children. Her oldest sister gave her this pink glass set a few years ago.

The tumblers came with a pitcher that is also on the table. Do you see it in the background?

These pieces are obviously from the Depression era and have been handed down generations.

They are in perfect condition which is amazing considering how old they, how much they've been used and how often they've been packed and moved around.

My favorite part of this story is that they will go on to the next generation and she will appreciate them as much as the past.

How cool to use glassware that you know has graced tables for over 70 years!


One last look. :o)



One last thought. Dad B. was admitted to the hospital last night with a high temperature and infection. He is in the ICU step down program at the hospital. Please lift him and Mom B. up in prayers. Pray for strength and peace.

Dear Heavenly Father, please watch over these dear ones we love. Give them a good night's rest, and a calm spirit. Guide the health care professionals as they tend to Dad B. and give them wisdom in making decisions. It's in Jesus name I pray. Amen
XOXO

Theresa




17 comments:

  1. A beautiful table as well as a table of memories. How nice that you have so many nice family things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Theresa...this is lovely! I love your beautiful china and new placemats. Why haven't you been participating every week, girlfriend? :-) How wonderful to inherit the lovely depression glass...and oh...the memories are truly the best part, aren't they! Blessing and prayers for your Dad...hope you get some great news very soon! Susan

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know for myself that those things that I hold dearest are the things that have been passed down to me and have history. How fortunate you are to have something with such valuable memories. Happy Tablescape Thurday to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Theresa, your pink glassware is just beautiful. I've collected some over the years too and it's my favorite.

    I've prayed for your dad and his recovery.
    xo...Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the pink glass dishes! I also love the plates and the placemats! Nice to have the beautiful memories too!...Christine

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very pretty! Love the pinks and blues together. Kristen

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the dishes, and especially the depression glass. I'm a huge fan of depression glass, pink in particular. Your table is so lovely.
    I will be praying for your loved ones.
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  8. so pretty - I love depression glass - especially pink!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Theresa

    Your table is beautiful. The memories sweet!

    Prayers for your loved ones.

    Pat@Back Porch Musings

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the depression glass. So many memories on your table. Certainly will remember your Dad in my prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely dishes! And the glasses are just beautiful. Glad you joined us today!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love that you were able to reminisce and share your memories with us! Everything looks beautiful! I have those sweet pink goblets too, they are one of my favorite things!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi there Theresa! I am new to your blog - came by way of Susan's as I am visiting all this week's tablescapers. Love your placemats and napkins. The fresh blue is so spring-like. Everything is so pretty. I love it all. Happy Spring!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Theresa, your table is set so beautifully ~ I love layers, and the pink glass so much. Very nice job!

    Happy Spring!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello Theresa, such beautiful glassware and wonderful memories. your china and placemats are gorgeous, Happy TT, Kathy.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What beautiful memories are held in that beautiful tablescape. You wrote a charming and moving post today --- thank you!

    I love the pink Depression glass -- and how wonderful that it will be passed to another generation eventually.

    Prayers for your father --- I hope he has a quick recovery.

    Cass

    ReplyDelete
  17. How pretty! I love the pink glassware. I think that it is wonderful that you do a formal dinner with your students. When I was teaching, I would host a tea when we studied British Literature.

    ReplyDelete